The horticultural staff of the UC Davis Arboretum have identified 100 tough, reliable plants that have been tested in the Arboretum, are easy to grow, don’t need a lot of water, have few problems with pests or diseases, and have outstanding qualities in the garden. Many of them are California native plants and support native birds and insects. Most All-Star plants can be successfully planted and grown throughout California.
Learn about Arboretum All-Stars
- Use the All-Stars database to find the right plants for your garden
- Use the All-Stars planting plan from the landscape outside the west fence of the Arboretum Teaching Nursery as an inspiration for your home garden
- Browse through a list of the 100 UC Davis Arboretum All-Stars
- Watch an audio slide show about the All-Stars plants
See Arboretum All-Stars in the gardens
Look for beautiful, brightly-colored signs identifying the All-Stars at the UC Davis Arboretum, each with a photo of the plant in bloom, a list of its outstanding features, and information about how to grow it. Also look for metal plant labels with the All-Stars logo.
Purchase Arboretum All-Stars
Grow Arboretum All-Stars
Thanks to our Arboretum All-Stars partners
- Big Oak Nursery
- Cornflower Farms
- Florasource, Ltd.
- Garden Bloomers Takao Nursery
- High Ranch Nursery, Inc.
- MasterTag, Inc.
- McCall's Nurseries, Inc.
- Pacific Gas and Electric Company
- Regional Water Authority
- Suncrest Nurseries, Inc.